1. Nutrition – Eat every 2-3 hours to stoke your metabolism. I suggest by starting a log of what you are currently eating. Lose it! has a great app to keep track of your nutrition.
2. Know your Resting Heart Rate so you can calculate your target heart rate. This will help with #2. Click to learn how to measure your resting heart rate. This is also a good way to take the focus off how many lbs you are losing or not losing. Losing weight should be considered a bonus not the focus.
3. Start exercising with short duration, intense exercise like HIIT. HIIT is when you keep your heart rate at about 72% then throughout the workout you spike to 85%. Take sprinting for example. Sprinting is a great full body workout – abs, quads, flutes, arms. Sprint a mild hill for 30-40 seconds. At the top you will probably reach your 85% max heart rate. Walk down the hill to recover (approx. 20 seconds) then sprint again. Sprint 7 times or until 20 minutes have passed. Do this type of workout only 3 x’s a week. Why? Because you will actually have a negative reaction otherwise (too much stress for your body).
4. Get some really good quality sleep. 8-10 hours a night. This is important for your body to reset and start a new day. Eat your last meal within a 12 hour period from your last meal of the previous day. Example: First meal at 7:30am, last meal from the previous day at 7:30pm).
5. Add restorative work to your routine. Exercise is the Yin (heat), restorative work is the Yang (cool). The restorative work keeps your body in balance.